- Home Page
- Community Development
The City of Oak Grove has adopted the 2012 International Codes.
The City of Oak Grove Building Department is staffed by an ICC Certified Building Official. The focus of the department is to ensure buildings and structures are constructed, utilized, and maintained in a manner that reduces the risk to public health, safety and welfare. The Building Department also enforces local property maintenance codes and adopted municipal ordinances, assisting to educate the public in code issues and to work with the citizens to assure the property is maintained in a safe code compliant manner.
WORK REQUIRING PERMITS:
Any owner or owner’s authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by these codes, or to cause any such work to be performed, shall first make application to the Building Official and obtain the required permit.
- Demolition of a building
- Relocation of a building
- Interior residential and commercial remodeling except cosmetic work such as painting, papering, floor refinishing, carpeting, cabinetry and similar work
- Exterior remodeling and additions
- Construction of a new building
- Repair or replacement of roofing
- Accessory structures/sheds over 120 Sq Ft
- Addition or remodeling of a porch or deck which is attached to a building or over 200sf, or more than 30 inches off the ground and serves the exit door required by Section R311.4 of the International Residential Code.
- Swimming pools above ground above twenty-four (24) inches or more
- Swimming pools in ground
- Off street parking
- Communication towers or structures
- Water heater installation or replacement.
- HVAC installation or replacement
- Commercial and residential fencing installations
- Sidewalks and driveways
- Excavations or boring in the public right of way
- Sign installations
- Retaining walls that are over four (4) feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall
For a complete list of exempt work not requiring permits, please contact the Building Official. Some exceptions include minor repairs or purely cosmetic updates such as painting and wallpapering. Please contact Justin Petray the Building Official at 816-690-3773 ext 1007 to discuss your project.